Nothing can refresh the look of your home than a fresh coat of paint! From whites to neutrals to bright yellows and blues, changing the color of your paint can completely transform your home’s vibe and mood – that’s how powerful painting can be. And nothing can beat the quality and finish that Jo-tun paint can achieve. If a can of Jo-tun paint has been sitting idle and you’ve been putting off a paint job for a while now, then this has got you covered.
Before we dive into more details, let’s first do the 101 and understand everything there is to know about water-based paints.
Are water-based paints the future?
A few decades ago, near all architectural paints were oil-based. Fast-forward to the 21st century, and you can find that water-based paints have evolved in terms of quality and performance to an extent that they’re likely to soon replace oil-paints as the industry standard. Brands like Jo-tun are paving the future, with their line of Jo-tun water-based paint, that are designed to deliver superior finish and performance. Let’s understand why water-based paints are winning over:
- Because of their Sheen (Shine texture) Levels: Unlike in oil-based paints, the sheen never becomes dull while using water-based paints. And their sheen level is maintained for over a longer period of time.
- Because of their durability: Due to significant advances in the industry, water based paints dry quite hard and resist damage and tear. They are able to expand and contract as per changing weather, hence there is less or no cracking.
- Exterior use: The performance of water-based paints is brilliant as compared to performance of oil based paints. Water based are more resistant to UV rays.
- Clean-up: Unlike oil-based paints, water based paints are much easier to clean up as these do not require thinners to clean up the process.
- Quick dry time: You don’t have to wait an eternity for the paint to dry. Water-based paints are much quicker to dry and can deliver superior results faster
- Low VOCs: Oil-based paints release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) into the atmosphere that are a major contributor to ground-level ozone. Water-based paints on the other hand have zero or low level of VOCs making them quite environment friendly
- Low odor: Compared to their oil-based counterparts,
Where can you use Jo-tun water paint?
Interior walls: Ideally, water paints work best for interiors. Its super fast drying time makes it easy for painters to finish two coats in one day. In addition, the ease of cleanup, low odor, and VOCs make it a top choice of professionals and Dyers alike
Great for masonry: Water based paints are resistant to alkalies, which means it adheres well to surfaces such as bricks, concrete, stone and plasters, and last longer than oil-paints
Exterior: Water-based paints work well for exteriors and are quite durable in most climates. Colors tend to last longer before fading, thus making it a good choice. However, in wet climates with high humidity the paint may not perform as expected.
Jo-tun paints – Simply, the best!
Jo-tun is a pioneer with over ninety-five years of experience and presence in over hundred nations. Their solutions for homes, light, shipping, architecture, energy etc. have stood out and achieved remarkable success. Powering their presence with cutting edge technology and providing sustainable solutions, they are go-to for all customers. It’s no wonder that Jo-tun water-based paint solutions have carved out a niche, and are trusted by many for their superior quality and premium finish.
A simple guide to using Jo-tun paint
Step #1: Gather the tools
Get the required tools for the job; brushes, roller, roller tray, masking tape, sanding paper, dry brush, vacuum and of course, Jo-tun exterior paint.
Step #2: Prep the basics
This is the trickiest part, but once it’s done it makes the rest of the job simple! Carefully apply masking tape around the areas you want to paint. Also lay down a dust sheet or an old cloth to protect flooring and your furniture.
Step #3 Remove dirt and grime
Never paint on a dirty surface. Clean the surface with soap water or products like Crud Cutter.
Step #4: Sand it down
Lightly sand the area using a fine grade paper. If the surface is glossy or damaged, use a coarser grade of sand paper, and then finish it with a fine paper to get a clean workable surface.
Step #5 Dust off
Use a dry brush to remove any loose dust or you can also use a vacuum cleaner for the job.
Step #6: Prime the surface
For a smooth and superior finish, adding a coat of water based primer to the surface. In case you want to skip out on the primer, make sure you prep the surface by wetting it with a damp cloth. This helps water paint adhere well to the surface.
Step #7 Let the colors splash
Now, it’s time for the fun part! Apply paint in quick smooth strokes, and make sure the brush is not overloaded. Jo-tun water paint is known to dry to touch in an hour or two. Wait for six hours, and then apply a second coat of paint. Allow another six hours to dry
Voila! Your job is done – and in half the time it takes with an oil-based paint.
Here are some tips and tricks on how you can use Jo-tun paint at your home:
●Avoid using more than a couple of brush or roller strokes on each area before going to the next area.
●Avoid going back and brushing on the areas that are drying.
●Leave unsatisfactory areas for 20 minutes and then apply another coat. Do not apply too much pressure on it.
●Don’t thin the paint unless you are spraying
●Don’t paint unless there is a risk of condensation forming on the surface.
●Refrain from picking too much paint. Use more dripping and brushing out for better results.
●Check the weather conditions, if there is a prediction of rain, wait for some days
●Refrain from painting in direct sunlight on a hot day
With this guide in mind, you’re guaranteed to get a professional looking finish at home using the Jotun water-based paint.